Make Report Hide Page

Don't Suffer In Silence, Make A Report.

As part of your PSHE curriculum in Year 10 we cover this topic.  Having worked with a number of classes, the Year 10 pupils felt that there should be a page dedicated to this topic.  You will find lots of useful information regarding this issue below, including a section on "What to do if?".


The NSPCC defines CSE as a type of sexual abuse.  Due to your age, they recognise that pupils can be exploited and you can receive gifts such as money or affection as a result of performing sexual actitvities or othes performing sexual activities on them.  There is a concern that you can be tricked into believing that you are in a loving relationship.  Due to this concern, there are may resources that can help you reflect on your relationship.  

Know About CSE is a website that has a section dedicated to young people to help you understand the issues.

The ZipIt app is helpful in dealing with pressure to sext someone.  You can also access it straight from the Apps Store.


So ... what if you think you could be in a relationship that is concerning?

1. Think about what your relationship is like.  Is it with someone much older than you?  Do they give you gives and make you feel special?  Do they encourage you to avoid spending time with your friends and family?  Do they want you to comminucate via social media?

2. If you have answered yes to some or all of these questions, you need to be able to talk to someone who won't judge you.  You can drop in to see our School Nurse, you can speak to your form tutor or email Mrs Wood directly from here.

3. If you cannot tell a member of staff at school, please speak to a VI Form student or a friend.  They will be able to help you and can share your worries, on your behalf.  Sometimes it is really hard to say things out loud but they will help you do this.  If you cannot do any of these suggestions, please use the links above for help from the NSPCC and you can contact ChildLine by ringing 0800 1111 or using their 1-2-1 counsellor chat.  


What if you are concerned about a friend?

1. What makes you worry about their relationship?  Write down these ideas so that.

2. Share your concern.  Do this by speaking to our School Nurse, your Form Tutor or Head of Year, Mrs Wood or your parents.  All these adults will be able to help you help your friend.

3. If you cannot verbalise your worries, don't panic.  Send a SHARP message and Mrs Wood will be able to help you.  

4.  What happens if you have got it wrong?  You may feel like your friendship has been affected by questioning his or her relationship.  But remember, it is better to bring these worries to attention rather than leaving them / ignoring them and something happens.  You are kind, thoughtful and being the best friend you can be.